The Artemis Podcast
Join Marcia Brownlee and co-hosts Maggie Heumann and Becca Aceto as they talk to the adventurous, accomplished women who are redefining conservation through their lives in the field and on the water.
EP 66: Talking Turkey with Mary Lynn
Mary Lynn (of beagle-pack fame) joins us again on Artemis to talk turkeys. We talk about which calls to use, which sounds to master, where to put all your calls, and just… all things turkey. How do you know when to wait on a bird versus moving on? What about when a ‘Jolene’ hen moves in on your tom?
- 3:00 Wild turkey grand slam: Eastern, Osceola, Rio Grande and Merriam’s — these are the four subspecies of turkey you’re after.
- 3:30 There’s also the Royal Slam, the World Slam, the Canadian Slam, the Mexican Slam, and the U.S. Super Slam… there’s a slam for everyone. More about the Slams at National Wild Turkey Federation.
- 3:45 Osceola turkey… looks like a cross between a turkey and a peacock
- 5:00 See turkeys in your state? Give a nod to groups like the National Wild Turkey Federation
- 7:00 Artemis’ Turkey Tactics webinar
- 8:00 Turkey calls, from age five to present
- 10:00 Playing gobble ‘hide-and-seek’ in the house with Dad (OR, the country-girl version of Marco Polo
- 11:00 First turkey hunt as an 11-year-old – annoying a hen, calling in the whole flock, and dad-and-daughter turkeys for the freezer
- 13:00 On turkey hunting: “You won’t always be successful… but you’ll develop a story or a memory.”
- 17:00 Turkey vest confessional… a go-to set-up
- 20:00 Decoy strategy
- 23:00 Vests versus backpacks
- 24:00 Gobblers come in silently, it’s important for YOU to be silent, too
- 29:00 When to gobble at a tom vs. when to sound like a hen; Plus, calling in spring vs. fall
- 33:00 When a ‘Jolene’ hen moves in on your gobbling tom
- 37:00 The “shut up and wait ’em out” approach to bringing in a tom
- 39:00 How do you decide when to wait, and when to move? It’s complicated.
- 40:00 Strut zones
- 42:00 Turkeys are highly tuned to noises and movement (versus smell)
- 44:00 A beginner’s guide to turkey calls (and calling!)
- 46:00 Cluck, yelp, purr
- 50:00 Getting out there before sun-up, location calling, and the ‘shock gobble’
- 56:00 Don’t overthink it; Simplicity is success
- 1:02 Marcia’s wake-sleep cycle rabbit hole: Huberman Lab podcast
- 1:03 If you missed Mary Lynn’s barefoot turkey takedown story, scroll back two episodes (beagles!) for that scoop