The Artemis Podcast
Join Marcia Brownlee and co-hosts Maggie Heumann and Becca Aceto as they talk to the adventurous, accomplished women who are redefining conservation through their lives in the field and on the water.
WildHERness with Sharenda Birts
Last time we spoke with Sharenda, we heard about how she got into shooting and reloading. This week, we get an update on where she’s at in her journey being a hunter and angler. She’s been dove-hunting and tying her own flies… AND, she’s bringing other women along on the journey through a program called WildHERness. Becoming a hunter can feel like a long process. Sharenda breaks down her journey into simple steps, sometimes as concrete as “Next thing: buy tent.”
- 2:00 WildHERness.org , a program to get women into sporting, @wildHERness_ on Insta and WildHERness on Facebook
- 4:00 Missouri’s Pheasants Forever “Go Wild” program … like a BOW program, but for women in Missouri/Kansas (September 24-26)
- 8:00 Imagine a weekend with arts & crafts AND reloading activities… #dreamcometrue
- 10:00 Girls with Guns “Upland” pants
- 12:00 Boots for female hunters: Danner “Wayfinder” boots, RedWing “Upland” boots, Timberland “Pros”, plus… good ‘ol Muck boots
- 13:00 Squeaky boot problems… is it the laces? The insoles?
- 17:00 DSG clothing line… hello, ladies! Adjustable inseams, plus-size and petite options, etc
- 20:00 Let’s snow-boogie-board, y’all
- 21:00 Miss Sharenda on Artemis the first time? Add it to your listening queue
- 23:00 A first-time dove hunt… “those little boogers fly like bats!” #theyrequick
- 27:00 Hunt prep on YouTube… good idea? bad idea?
- 28:00 When your friends are literally your bird dogs
- 34:00 Coleman pop-up camping bed
- 36:00 Practicing your duck calling around the house can be rough on a relationship… but what if you did it every time you were at a stoplight?
- 37:00 Christopher Polk duck calls
- 41:00 Fly-tying, fly-casting… practice, practice, practice (whenever you can)
- 44:00 Taxidermists have a quagmire of regulatory hoops
- 51:00 The garage-centric chicken coop set-up
- 57:00 How antelope negotiate fences… it’s fascinating
- 1:04 A keep-your-cooler-cool trick involving a wet towel
- 1:06 Find Artemis (and Sharenda) in our Facebook group … Sharenda is also on Instagram @pinkshears